Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The New Post

It seems I've cooled off a bit from this darling blog.

I'm not entirely sure how that happened.
First i actually wrote some essays and made some wigs. Then I entertained my wonderful Irish guest. Then I went back to uni and wrote some more essays...

That is where I am currently at. Or not at, as it seems I'm actually back here, writing a 'new post'.

its just occurred to me (yes, just! right now, this very second... well that very second that it was a moment ago when I typed the word), how odd the phrase 'new post' is out of this blogging context. I think its because I just wrote a piece for my English class in which I ranted at length about how society was so enamoured with the concept of 'post'... as in after/against/beyond, not at in the act of sending physical mail. Which of course we have mostly forgotten.

We have the usual subjects such as post modern and post war and post impressionism (not, historically in that order). But I think other notable contemporary posts include:
Post Victorian (my current angst)
Post the boom years
Post Sub-prime mortgage lending
Post incident Depression (eg, post natal depression, post election depression, post exam depression, post holiday depression, post ordering depression [a personal favourite which refers to the cognitive dissonance felt when the food you're friends order in a cafe is undoubtedly so much better that yours])


but thankfully it seems i'm not post-blogging, evidenced by the fact that i am posting a new post.

I will now conclude this ramble of nothingness with my quote of the day, from Danahay's Gender At Work In Victorian Culture:
"Mental labor was not obviously a form of exertion in the same way as physical toil, and could thus be seen as idleness. Idleness, it was believed would lead to sin and should be repudiated through self-disciplined physical exertion. The Imperative to work was thus a counter to the threat of sexuality...while work was an antidote to temptation for men... for women to work was often represented as releasing a dangerous sexuality rather than repressing sexual desire. Therefore, while it was appropriate for men to work, for women it was seen as an inappropriate libidinal activity"

This is why I am not Post Victorian. I always knew going to work was bad for me. Bring on the baking and filling up my days on ye Olde Face Book and the writing of the New Post.

1 comment:

  1. Ye olde Facebook runs on refined grain alcohol, produces thick black smoke and holds ten people's information worldwide.
    It's version of Farmville is a farm.

    ReplyDelete