Sunday, May 16, 2010

I knew this moment would come...

I knew this moment would come and that I would cave in and post a poem or other piece of my creative writing. It isn't new, I wrote it last November, and it is already posted on Facebook. But I suddenly remembered it the other day, and then remembered how much I liked it, so I why not bring it out again!

Infidelity

The taste in my mouth
Is pure filth.
It creeps up along
The back of my throat,
Coats
The roof of my mouth.
This thickness cover me,
I feel like my tongue
Is swelling.
Why did I persist
And endure two thirds
Of this dirty flirtation.
Why did I not listen,
To the infinitely wise
To the voice inside me.
I should not have done this.
Not been so weak,
Not here. Curse you,
London, Paddington.

I knew
It would be like this.
I knew
I didn’t want it.
Just habit,
Just something to do.
Should have said no.
Then there would be
No dry mouth.
No creeping, crawling
Remorse.
No scratchiness, no bitterness.
Should have known
It would be a let down.
Should have waited
Till tomorrow
Waited to be satisfied
With real coffee in Soho.

9:29am, Wednesday
4th November 2009

On the 9:00 train from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads,
Somewhere near West Drayton.

No comments:

Post a Comment