Thursday, May 13, 2010

you'll find there are many who'll wed for a penny...

...who'll wed for a penny, there are lots of good fish in the sea, there are lots of good fish in the sea...

repeat, one time with feeling and with chorus: you'll find there are many... etc
repeat in the sea, in the sea, in the sea (ad nausem).

Oh no, more G&S, and direct quoting at that, and its only post 3. This is terrible, truly terrible. Somebody let those men out of my head.

But seriously, tonight I come home from Mikado rehearsals (and singing the above lines)and find myself ranting about the economics of weddings. There was no real need for this. I was sitting down calmly eating a corn thin covered with butter AND peanut butter and drinking a small glass of Muscat (actually quite a good combination), and something was said that was somehow connected to weddings and who should foot the bill, and well... that just got everything going.

Its a curious feminist double standard that even the most forward thinking girls expect their parents to pay for the wedding. Do we expect parents to pay when their son gets married? And what if one lot of parents think they should pay 50-50 regardless of if its their girl or boy child getting married, but the other lot don't want to pay a cent? And lets, for a moment, consider if the couple in question are not 21, but are in their late twenties, or their thirties and have jobs, and perhaps earn more than their parents, do mum and dad still pay? Goodness, so much theorising could be done...

I of course launched into plans for my hypothetical wedding, and I am very good at planning hypothetical events, I am well on the way to holding a degree in Hypothetical Event Creation, thanks to MQ (no, i'm not bitter).
I explained how my hypthetical wedding would not fall victim to ridiculous wedding politics, but would be low-level fuss at low-level cost, (somebody quote me on this if I ever have to plan said hypothetical wedding) not only because this seems the most rational option, it also seems to be the option least likely to prevent post-wedding-depression.

However, as it is, i do not have to do any such planning, and so have no need to worry about crazy diets and fitting into multi-thousand dollar dresses, so I caved into my overwhelming desire to eat fatty food and loaded up another corn thin with an even thicker lyer of butter and peanut butter than before, and all was well with the world.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Rosie, how I love you!

    I tell you what, just get married in a shower, wearing a silver corset on loan from OA. We can get Glenn to do the wedding video and people can watch on YouTube rather than having to pay for a reception venue or plane tickets or whatever else. It's foolproof!

    And of course you're not bitter. Hypothetical Event Creation is a highly prestigious degree. :P

    <3
    Miss C.

    ReplyDelete