Saturday, April 30, 2011

Move Me Still

Friday's Poem.

Poem 12: Move Me Still, originally titled 'My Words', 22nd January 2002, age 19


I’ve listened to Jewel’s songs,
And I’ve read her poems
they haunt me still,
because I feel I understand.
And her words they cry freely,
So there are no tears left for me.
But I want to sing them.
I wish they were mine.
They’ll never be mine.


So I sat in my room
With [a pen and paper and] too much wine
And I sung her words, strong and sad
Picturing his face in my mind.
What a foolish fantasy
Wanting what simply can not be.
But I’d sing you a song,
If you were mine.
You’ll never be mine.



Her words were beautiful
They move me still.
Even though I was not there
When they first were sung
But I’ve heard them now,
And if I could, I’d give them new life.
I would sing them.
I wish they were mine
They’ll never be mine


She wrote a love song
To a stranger, (this is mine)
I hardly knew you
But you’re so great to talk to.
Will we ever talk again –
About life and king Arthur?
I’d sing a song about you
But you’re not mine
You’ll never be mine.


These words are mine.
And I will sing them.


(... The irony being not only did I neglect to post this yesterday, I don't actually sing these words, or any really...)

No comments:

Post a Comment