Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Plastic Bands



Last night I was at the Strawberry Hills Hotel with some friends from uni. We were lucky enough to be entertained all night by a stack of video clips from the nineties, including Say You'll Be There, by the girl powered darlings of late nineties pop. Seeing this clip made me remember getting up at 8am on Saturdays to to watch the Spice Girls' clips on Rage.
As no retrospective of my teenage years would be complete without mentioning the Spice Girls, here is poem three:




Plastic Bands, 15th February, 1999 (age 16)
Once,
When there was still
Five of them,
They were on stickers
Inside the Chuppa Chups.
I have the box.
And in it
My life is rolled up,
and bound
By rubber bands.
They parade their platforms
And show off their thighs
Behind fish nets.
Pages and pages
Of glossy tabloid articles.
Of four hours of passion
on trains,
With guys who hide
Behind their
Football short shorts.
Falling out of friendships
and wonder bras.
And it is all in my
Chuppa Chup box.
With my life,
bound by
Rubber bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment